Verak Nor was an independent Star Trek chat sim that incorporated Simming 2.0 concepts and long form story writing to enhance the core chat sim. Founded by Kelly Rowles and Daniel Fowler, Verak Nor ran from July 17, 2007 to January 20, 2009.
Verak Nor was created out of a growing frustration with the simming norm. Having seen little innovation in the realm of chat simming during their decade plus career, Kelly Rowles and Daniel Fowler wanted to create something new. With the help of their friend Brad Levinson, the trio independently developed the concept of Simming 2.0--incorporating multimedia components (mainly audio and video) into a chat sim. Kelly and Dan ran with the concept, and Verak Nor was born.
In addition to incorporating multimedia, Verak Nor further supplemented the chat sim with long form stories written on the club's message boards.
During its run, Verak Nor took place every Tuesday at 10:15 p.m. Eastern Time.
It has been eight tumultuous years since the Dominion War ended and the Alpha Quadrant began recovering from that brutal conflict. The Federation has outstretched its tired arms to the war-torn nations closest to the Gamma Quadrant wormhole; most controversially, the ravaged Cardassion Union.
The philanthropic gestures of the Federation towards their recent enemies has faced strong opposition from many of its member states; Bajor and Bolarus IX both filed official protests to the President of the Federation regarding the foreign aid. Despite these and other setbacks, Starfleet has taken an active role in participating in the socio-economic reconstruction of Cardassia and its territories.
Situated a scant three lightyears from the McAllister Nebula of the Dorvan Sector in Cardassian space, the space station Verak Nor holds watch over the often contested area of space known previously as the Demilitarized Zone. The station is run by Gul Arzan Evaad, a veteran of the Bajoran Occupation and Dominion War.
In the glory days of the Cardassian Union, Verak Nor was an important in that it was the only large station in the sector that had the capacity to provide docking and minor service to Galor Class warships, the mainstay of the Cardassian fleet. The station was also known as a way station for any merchants traveling into the Union from nearby Federation space. From commercial retailers and industrial wholesalers to food vendors, Verak Nor is bustling with activity, despite it’s languishing disrepair.
Since the fall of the junta-style Cardassian government, military posts like Verak Nor have fallen onto hard times and chronically suffer from inadequate staff and low morale. Viewed unfavorably by many of the new democratic leaders on Cardassia as relics from a war-torn past, stations like Verak Nor struggle for funding and supplies on a daily basis.
Fortunately for such woe-stricken outposts, the Federation revival initiative has breathed new life into the beleaguered Cardassian infrastructure.
Enter the USS Okuda: this Steamrunner class Starfleet vessel has been assigned indefinitely by Starfleet to Verak Nor as the Federation liason crew tasked with helping the revitalization of the aging outpost. While it is not the newest ship in the fleet, the Okuda received a refit only fourteen months prior to being assigned at Verak Nor. Its Commanding Officer is Captain Lyra Rose, a veteran of Starfleet Intelligence.
An ailing Cardassion station, in need of new blood and fresh ideas. A skeptical Starfleet crew, far from home and assigned to unfamiliar surroundings. Only time will tell if these two very different cultures will be able to achieve their goals, separate and shared.
Station Technical SpecificationsEdit
- Registration: Verak Nor
- Station Type: Orbital Docking Station
- Built: Between 2346 and 2353
- Overall diameter: 1451.82 meters
- Overall draft: 969.26 meters
- Mass: 10,120,000 metric tons
- 80 – Starfleet
- 40 – Cardassian
- Maximum Capacity: 7,000
- Docking facilities: 6 large docking pylon ports
- 3 medium docking ring ports
- 9 small docking ring ports
- 6 landing pads
- 35 phaser arrays (rotary mounts)
- 15 phaser emitters (stationary mounts)
- 3 phaser emitters (sliding mounts)
- 15 torpedo launchers
- Defenses: Deflector shields
- Acceleration: 0.01 m/s
- Delta Vee: 64,800 m/s
- Endurance: 1,800 Hours
- Limited motion on thrusters only
- Levels: 153
USS Okuda Technical SpecificationsEdit
- Registration: USS Okuda NCC-10393
- Ship type: Refit Steamrunner class
- Commissioned: Stardate 199510.09
- Built: Atlas V Fleet Yard, Deneb V
- Overall Length: 300.98 meters
- Overall Width: 223.2 meters
- Overall Height: 38.87 meters
- Area: 312,000 square meters
- Primary Hull Dimensions – 8 decks
- Length: 175.76 meters
- Width: 223.2 meters
- Height: 38.87 meters
- Area: 312,000 square meters
- Secondary Hull Dimensions – 4 decks
- Length: 67.6 meters
- Width: 42.25 meters
- Height: 20.28 meters
- Area: 11,400 square meters
- 5 Federation Type XII phaser arrays
- 2 Federation Type XII-A phaser arrays
- 2 photon torpedo launchers
- Danube-Class Runabout: 1
- Registration: USS Fontana
- Type-10 Shuttlecraft: 6
- Designations: Taylor, Coon, Piller, Behr, Westmore, and Zimmerman
- Type: Heavy long-range warp shuttle
- Length: 9.64 meters
- Width: 5.82 meters
- Height: 3.35 meters
- Accomodation: Two flight crew, two passengers
- Performance: Warp 5
- Armament: Three phaser emitters, two micro-torpedo launchers